Friday, September 29, 2006

Play It Again. . . And Again. . . And Again

I spend a lot of time with headphones embedded in my ears. Lately, it’s an iPod thing, of course, but music’s been big in my life for years. Somewhat regularly I develop an obsession with a particular song and will listen to it over and over for a period of days or weeks before it fades away and I move on to something else.

Doesn’t have to be a new song and it rarely is. Most often, it’s just something that pops into my head. What’s always interesting to me is the why behind the obsession of the moment. Might be a conversation I have with someone. Might be a mood I’m in. Might be something that’s pissed me off and I’ve turned to the music for stress relief. Might be a “Wow, I haven’t heard that in a while” moment on the radio.

A few weeks ago, if you can imagine, it was “For Those About to Rock (We Salute You)” by AC/DC. I’m nearly embarrassed to admit that that one was prompted by a mention in a Phoenix magazine of a trendy baby store that had an infant shirt with “For Those About to Nap, We Salute You.” As the father of a three-month old girl, and as a husband to a closet heavy-metal head, I was intrigued.

Lately, it’s been David Gray’s “Babylon.” Not sure why but it popped up on my iPod one night on the lonely drive home from class in the middle of the cornfields and some of the lyrics just grabbed on and haven’t let go yet. Here’s a sample of the first verse and the chorus.

Friday night, I’m going nowhere,all the lights are changing green to red.
Turning over TV stations, situations running through my head.
Looking over time, you know it’s clear that I’ve been blind, I’ve been a fool.
To open up my heart to all that jealousy, that bitterness, that ridicule.

(Chorus)
If you want it, come and get it, for crying out loud.
The love that I was giving you, was never in doubt.
Let go of your heart, let go of your head and feel it now
Let go of your heart, let go of your head and feel it now.

If you have a chance, pick up “White Ladder,” his breakthrough album from the late 90s that was put out with a big push from Dave Matthews’ label. It’s a great album and his music has a haunting, emotional quality that always gets to me. He also holds an interesting spot for me in my musical memory in that I heard him play “Sail Away” on David Letterman’s show when the album first came out. I’d never heard of him, had never heard the song and on that first listen thought “I have to get that album.”

Any music fan will agree that that’s an enjoyable moment. When a first listen is so satisfying that you know you’re going to enjoy the entire album. For me, it happens rarely but it’s usually powerful and I’m almost always pleased. In the last five to 10 years, it’s happened for me with David Gray, John Mayer and Dido. All exceptional artists, in my opinion, who’ve followed up big debuts with solid work since.

I have to admit that it’s always enjoyable when one of these obsessions grabs on and doesn’t let go for a while. Like an addict reaching for another hit, along with the caveat of “I’ll just do it one more time and then I’ll stop,” I’m always in a battle with myself to cut it off before I get sick of the song. Usually I succeed and I’m able to come back to the song and still enjoy it later. Usually. David Gray’s gotta hold of me now. I wonder who’s going to be next. . .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home