Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Gastronomic Nostalgia


We all remember certain favorite foods from our childhood. For me, growing up in northeastern Pennsylvania, some of my favorites were pizza from either Dino’s Pizza or Pizza Perfect and unique sweet pastries from a company called TastyKake.

I took a solo road trip back to the homeland last May for my first visit in more than 20 years and was able to enjoy all three treats from my youth. After I returned home, I was a little disappointed to think that it might be years before I sampled my favorites again.

Sadly, no one has yet to find a way to ship a hot pizza from 750 miles away. And, surprisingly, Jen thought it was a bad idea for me to drive that far to get a pizza.

“But they both make damn good pizza!”

“No.”

So Dino’s and Pizza Perfect were out.

Butterscotch Krimpets. KandyKakes. Chocolate Juniors. As far as I know, TastyKake sells its product in stores only on the East Coast. I heard a rumor a few years ago that you could buy their product at Jewel supermarkets in Chicagoland but couldn’t ever find any.

And then, one day early this fall, it hit me. The Internet. Maybe TastyKake sells its stuff online. No. That would be too convenient.

I found the TastyKake Web site. And there it was. The magical “Shop Online” button. As a big surprise, I first ordered a variety case for my sister that included a t-shirt and had it shipped directly to her house. She was clearly pumped when she called me to say she’d received it and I was happy to help take her back to her youth.

I finally ordered a case for myself last week. It arrived yesterday and I baptized Jen into the church of the holy TastyKake. The kids will get to enjoy some today.

It’s times like these that I wonder how we ever got along without the Internet. Now, if someone would just figure out a way to ship me a hot pizza from Pennsylvania, life would be perfect.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The unfortunate truth about these wonderful childhood foods is that it is always disappointing to introduce someone else to them--the recipient NEVER has the reaction you're hoping for. HOW CAN YOU NOT THINK THIS SMALL GREASY ONION-COVERED HAMBURGER WITH FIVE HOLES IN IT IS NOT THE GREATEST THING EVER; ARE YOU CRAZY?!?!? For example (no offence) I found the Tastycake to be pretty unexciting.

Funny enough, though: I did recently stuble upon the opportunity to introduce someone to Frozen Custard. I was not all that hyped, but she went CRAZY about how good it is.

Murphy's Law, I guess.

TC

10:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home