Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Rants & Raves--Vol. 1

RANT--Customer Service

My experiences with customer service lately are like changing a diaper on my five-month old; I never know what I'm going to get and it's often pretty scary. I'm blown away at the attention to detail and incredibly consistent pleasantness of some hotel staff members, for example. Then, I question who the idiot was who hired the receptionist who's rude to me at the doctor's office.

I guess it's that inconsistency that's so maddening. It's easy to think that the quality of customer service can be directly correlated to the salary level of the person delivering it. If you just pay people really well, so the thinking goes, they'll deliver good service. Wrong.


It's wrong in the way that a teenager at the register at McDonald's can be friendly and helpful making $7 an hour and the experienced receptionist at that doctor's office making twice that is rude and obnoxious. Upbringing. Training. Understanding of teamwork. Personal motivation. And, a desire to pay your dues and learn on the way up. Those seem to be the attributes of good workers. The companies that are drilling that into their employees are the ones who will get my hard-earned money.

RAVE--Parenthood

Me to My Almost Three-Year Old Son: "Alex, please come into the kitchen. It's time to eat."
Him: "Just a minute."
Me: Wide grin and head shake.

I'd like to throw a shout-out to all the parents out there with kids under five. I'm not sure I can inject anything new into the parental literature but it sure has been interesting to be a parent.

In a fun, unscientific sort of way, my wife and I have established that our children are operating right now at a 50:1 ratio. For every one thing that might frustrate or befuddle us, there are at least 50 things they do that cause us wonderment, awe and uninhibited love for them. I hope that ratio continues to hold. . .


RANT--Professionalism

Can't anyone here play this game? I'm continually amazed and frustrated as what I see as a lack of professionalism in the business world. Showing up for scheduled meetings five to 10 minutes late when I've busted my ass to make it there on time. You've had the meeting on a calendar for weeks. Get yourself there on time or don't show up at all.

Taking two days to return phone calls. A woman in our organization actually has an outgoing voice mail greeting that says she'll return your call within 48 hours. I'm sorry, but in 48 hours I'm not even going to remember why I called you in the first place, so what's the point?

Using e-mail to avoid, rather than enhance, communication. By the third "RE:"
on the e-mail, pick up the damn phone and solve the problem. E-mail should be about communication enhancement, not avoidance. Use it wisely or don't use it at all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home