Tuesday, August 11, 2009

T-Minus 60 Days and Counting Part 1. . .

Probably good that I’m updating the blog a few days after Saturday’s long run. It’s given me time to mentally come around and I feel much better now about how things went than I did for the two days afterwards.

I’d written last week that if I had a bad day with a good time, then it’s actually a good day. Well, Saturday’s planned 17-mile run was a cluster*** from start to finish and I struggled for two days after to find the good in it.

We’d planned to run early, about 6:30, to avoid the forecast of heat and humidity. Woke up around 5:30 to eat something and it was pouring rain. Figured we’d wait it out but it took nearly two hours for the rain to subside and we didn’t step off until about 7:40.

The humidity was high but the cloud cover made it tolerable at the start. With the skies still threatening rain, we altered our course and planned to do a few out-and-backs to get our mileage. Returned to our house after the first 7 miles and was feeling good. Ducked inside to change my sopping clothes and ate a granola bar; big mistake.

The break was too long and when I started again, I was sluggish and the granola bar wasn’t sitting well. Mary and Jen had left before me so I was chasing them down. The next few miles were a struggle, for some reason, but I finally caught up to them. The humidity was getting to them as well so we hit the 10-mile mark and decided to call it a day and head back.

In the end, we finished 12.3 miles in 1:59, coming up short nearly 5 miles. Ironically, our average time was 9:35/mile which was fairly strong, all things considered. Can't really figured out what went wrong to sap my energy. Had eaten oatmeal and an English muffin with peanut butter for breakfast and assumed that was plenty. Eating the granola bar may have been a mistake; need to stay with the gel. The long break certainly didn't help nor did the start/stop of getting up early and then waiting out the rain. Who knows what it was?


Shorting the mileage left me feeling aggravated all day long and into the next. I’m a little crazy like that; I like following the plan and finishing what we’re supposed to finish. In reality, coming up short a few miles in such high humidity and probably recovering better because of it will most likely pay benefits.

We’re set for 3 x 1600, 10 miles and then 13 miles this weekend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home