Sunday, August 02, 2009

T-Minus 69 Days and Counting. . .

You know, 15 miles is a long way to run. Felt good yesterday to get that one under our belts. Did a 15-mile loop course, the first non out-and-back we've done this year and I enjoyed the variety. Our luck with the temps continued as the morning dawned overcast and in the high 50s, perfect for running. We headed out from the Y to downtown and then turned north after we crossed the river.

Our course took us north for about 6 miles, to a quick Gatorade/gel break at Jen's work and then we pushed on for about two more miles before heading south on what is essentially the inward half of the Rockford Marathon's half-marathon course.

My run followed it's usual pattern. First two miles, "I feel like crap and there's no way I'm gonna do this today." That was followed by "Hey, we're five miles in and I'm feeling good but we still have 10 miles to go." Next came, "Wow, I can't believe how good I'm feeling right now at mile 11. Oh shit, we still have four to go?" And, finally, "Good God, we still have two miles to go? My legs are heavy, my feet and ankles hurt and I'm just getting really tired."

Cranked out the run in 2:21, with the last two miles clocking in at an absurd 18 minutes flat. I say absurd not because that's really fast but rather because it was done after 13 miles. Overall, I was happy with my run. Pace was about 9:25, putting us quite a bit faster than we hope to do the marathon. The last two miles, true to form lately, were the worst. That's OK, though, as it means the program continues to do what it should.

Tough week this week as we continue our step-up period. We lead off with 7 x 800, followed by an 8-mile tempo run and then 17 miles on Saturday. Sleep and diet will be critical. Been getting to bed a little too late recently and I've been feeling it later in the week. Diet and hydration will also play a role, as we have to make certain we're taking in enough fluids, and watching our carb/protein ratio to be fully-fueled.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home