Thursday, September 24, 2009

T-Minus 16 Days and Counting. . .

Pain. And a lot of it. After the successful 20-miler, I seemed to be recovering fairly well on Monday and into Tuesday. Had a little leg soreness and some regular pain in my left ankle tendons but nothing out of the ordinary.

That all changed on Tuesday afternoon when I began to have serious pain in my left quad/hamstring area. Had sat through a four-hour training session that morning but am not sure if that had anything to do with it. It’s since become problematic enough that I can’t quite put much weight on it to go up stairs.

Even more annoying is that I can’t figure out exactly what the problem is. I rode the bike for 30 minutes yesterday at the Y with absolutely no pain at all during the ride. Going up stairs was nearly impossible, however, and this morning the leg is even more sore. Jen did a quick eval last night and is thinking it might be that my hamstring is strained. Part of me isn’t quite sure that’s it but can’t quite figure it out.

My plan at the moment is to take two full days off, at least, and skip the 15-mile run on Saturday. My fitness level is such that I have a better shot at still finishing the race in two weeks if I lay off now and recover rather than trying to push through it and injure myself even more. Rather frustrating to be hit with this during the last two weeks.

Mentally, right now I’m in a different place than I was last year when I was injured with about eight weeks to go and had to take six weeks off from running and just cross train. Last year, I was frustrated and apprehensive about possibly missing out on the race. This year, I’ve become somewhat burned out by all the training and am desperately looking forward to the end of marathon training and the transition back to pure cross training (running, biking, swimming, weights, etc.) If I’m able to recover in time and finish the race, that would be great. If not, I think I’m OK with that too.

Injuries suck.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home