Saturday, September 05, 2009

T-Minus 35 Days and Counting, Part 2. . .

Been a little lax in my run blogging so I'll try to get a little bit caught up here.

Today was the culmination of week one of our Three Weeks of Hell, as I'm calling it. This is the toughest period of our training program as we go with tough mid-week runs followed by 20/15/20 long-run weekends. Did 20 miles today in Rockford and, all in all, I was both pleased and surprised by my performance. Felt strong and fresh all the way to about 18 miles, with the last two somewhat of a slog.

I've mentioned before that I'm a much better runner when faced with a loop or point-to-point than I am with multiple out and backs or a finish where we might be challenged with adding on a few turns here and there to gain mileage. I like to know exactly where I'm going and when and where I'm going to finish. It helps with knowing how and when to push the pace and it helps in knowing that when I decide to kick it up at the end, I can do so at the right time.

Was feeling great all the way up to about 16, when we had to slightly alter our route to hit our last water stop. Did then and then had to estimate our ending point, which threw me off just a bit. Got back on pace just fine between 16 and 18, until the quad and foot soreness kicked in over the last two miles. No worries, though, as we still finished at consistent 9:45 pace, coming in at just under 3:20 for the 20 miles.

I'm feeling cautiously confident as we begin to see the end of the road, and the starting line in Chicago, on our horizon. Next week, we'll tackle 15 in Rockford, before heading to Chicago the following week for the CARA Ready to Run 20 Miler. More on that as we get closer.

Looking forward to this week's running and need to work back in to some cross training. As has happened before, when the long runs get longer and the fall busyness creeps back, it's been too easy to slack off on the cross training. Must fix that for the last month.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home