Monday, September 21, 2009

T-Minus 19 Days and Counting. . .

Our 20-miler yesterday in Chicago was a mixed bag but, in the end, I think I’m feeling pretty good about where are training is with three weeks to go. I said to Jen at the end that while I didn’t feel great during the run, I didn’t feel like total crap either. How’s that for a summation?

We did the Chicago Area Runners Association Ready to Run 20 Miler, which is an organized run scheduled to coincide with training programs for the Chicago Marathon. It’s capped at about 5,000 runners who leave in waves from Foster Ave. Beach, head north briefly, and then turn south to run all the way down the lakefront to the South Shore Cultural Center. It includes aid stations and support along with way and a small post-run festival at the end. It’s fun and a nice break from having to come up with another 20-mile route on our own.

Temps were perfect, upper 50s, as we shoved off a little before 7 a.m. We treated this run as a rehearsal for the race and were focused on taking gel every 5 miles or so, walking quickly through the aid stations and getting back at it, etc. The first 5 miles were good as we dialed in slightly under our 10-minute/mile pace. We were feeling good from miles 5 to 10, as well, as we held pace and kept moving along. Temps picked up a bit as the sun was up higher but it wasn’t much of a factor because of the low humidity.

Miles 10 to 15 became a little more difficult, as they usually do during a run of this length. You feel good because you’ve passed the halfway point but not so good because you still have 10 miles to go. We picked it up around mile 13 and I know I was thinking, “oh, only 7 miles to go, not too bad.” Well, that happy feeling passed rather quickly and the quads and feet were beginning to feel the pain.

Miles 15 to 20 were up and down. We hit mile 17 and I felt a surge of energy as I realized we only had 3 to go. Again, that feeling passed, and I was hurting again at mile 18. The last two miles of a run this long always brings mixed emotions; “it’s only two miles, sure, but it’s still two miles to go.” Love the contradiction.

We hit the final mile and cranked it up as best we could on the narrow sidewalk with a lot of other runners. Finished pretty strong and were feeling sore but in good spirits. My ankle’s a bit sore today and the quads are a little tight but, surprisingly, I’m feeling pretty good. Mentally, I’m definitely looking forward to the race being done as I’m becoming slightly burned out by the training. It will be much more exciting to do this with thousands of other people and with thousands of others cheering us on so I’m sure that will carry me through.

We begin our three-week taper now as we give the body its rest while still keeping the legs fresh and ready to run 26.2. Cross training, sleep and nutrition will be critical as we get closer to the big day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home