Tuesday, August 25, 2009

To My Son on His First Day of Kindergarten

Yesterday, we left for the hospital around 8 p.m. and 12 hours later I was cutting the umbilical cord and listening to your first cry.

The other day, you pointed out to me that “bats are nocturnal, Dad. That means they sleep during the day and come out at night.”

Oh, how we’ve watched you grow. . .from chubby baby to confident little boy.

The intensity you have when lining up a corner kick during a soccer game.

The ease with which you tackled the skill of bike riding, not afraid to fall a few times, skin your knees and get right back on again.

How you stood in the corner crying on your first day of swim lessons and now are so excited to tell me how you touched the bottom in the deep end.

The protection and love you show to your little sister, always concerned with where she is and what she’s doing. The smiles you evoked in your teachers at the Rockford Health System Children’s Learning Center when hugging and kissing her goodbye each morning before you’d go off to your separate rooms.

Your ability to hide in the shadows at home and quietly scare the crap out of me, punctuating the incident with a mischievous little giggle.

How you’re always eager to show your affection anytime we’re parting ways; “Dad, I wanna give you a hug and a kiss.”

The seriousness with which you approach a game of Rock, Paper, Scissors.

The insistence, no matter how late it is, that you ask “Dad, will you tell me about my day,” a pleasant routine we share that started early on and shows no sign of letting up.

How often you seem to organize the group and calmly direct friends and cousins in how to play this game or start that activity, budding leadership skills that I hope will serve you well.

How proud I am as your father and how thrilled I am to watch you take your first small steps into the world of kindergarten.

No one knows what the future holds for you and that’s what makes this next stage in your life so exciting. If your first five years are any indication, you’re going to do great. I’m just fortunate to be on this path with you.

Have a great day, pal.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home