Saturday, October 03, 2009

T-Minus 7 Days and Counting. . .

Well, here we are. One week from right now, I'll be sitting in a hotel in Chicago getting ready to get a fitful night of sleep as I ready for our fourth Chicago Marathon. It's been a long road of training and it's nice to be ready as we near the end.

Did our final long run today; 10 miles with 5 out from home and back. Temps were a bit chilly, not that I'm complaining, with the long-term forecast for next week looking about the same. Had a couple of takeaways from today's run. First of all, I'm in wicked good shape, as they say in Maine. Knocked off 10.15 miles in 1:34:22, averaging just under 9:20 pace, much faster than we'll run next week. Felt great, nearly from start to finish, from a cardio standpoint.

On the not-so-great front, I had some knee pain toward the end and my connective tissue from my leg to foot is sore, as it has been after most of my 10+ mile runs. I look at it this way; it's general fatigue from all of the running this summer and I'll be able to have a good recovery following the race.

My pain tolerance is fairly high and if I have to suffer next week, it'll be worth it to have that medal hanging from my neck. We're set for a few short runs this week, just to keep the legs fresh. And, news flash, I'm getting my first-ever massage on Wednesday in the hopes that it'll loosen me up a bit for the big race.

More thoughts to come. . .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home