Thursday, October 08, 2009

T-Minus 2 Days and Counting. . .

Good run on Wednesday a.m. Did 3.1 in about 28 minutes, taking great pains to go nice and slow. Was a little groggy from lack of a “wake up” shower that I usually take before our morning runs. And, hadn’t eaten breakfast yet. All in all, though, I did feel fine.

Our bigger concern right now is weather. Forecast is for morning temps to be in the high 20s/low 30s, with the daily high only at 46. No rain forecast yet, which is good. However, the temps mean that we will most likely be running most of the race in the 30s, which creates a whole different set of issues. I’m not as concerned about my upper body as I am about my lower body. I’m trying to figure whether or not to wear my polypro running pants or not for the duration of the race.

I’ve run 3-5 miles in them before but never a long run and I just don’t want to end up with chafing issues halfway into the race. I’ve begun thinking about having running shorts on under the running pants and then just running in that until I feel comfortable enough to lose the running pants. Decisions. Decisions.

We’ll have “throwaway” clothes to wear on the train to downtown and to keep on before the start. That's really where I have most of my concern. We'll be at the starting area for about an hour before we actually start running and it's during that time that we'll have the potential to be really cold. So, gonna dress in layers and just plan to throw off some stuff as the start gets closer. It's a weird scene but necessary.

Received some good advice in the mass e-mail from the race medical director reminding runners that we want to be cold the first couple of miles and to dress as though it were 20 degrees warmer. Just need to keep remembering that.

We're going to try to get in one final 3- or 4-mile run tomorrow morning or afternoon, weather permitting, just to keep the legs fresh. Then, it's relaxation city until the start.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home